Sunday, October 24, 2010

Maasailand


Under an acacia tree I sat with around 100 Maasai women, women who had all welcomed me into their community with such purity and grace. Looking around I am overwhelmed by the sense of joy and contentment that radiates from each one of them as they concentrate on their beading. I came here to help train these women about costing and pricing their beadwork so that they could find more markets in order to help support their families, but I left here learning what it means to truly be in community and what it means to welcome one into your heart in the most genuine of ways. The community gathers as we walk through the open bush, I let go of any fear of being attacked by a lion or trampled by an elephant because when you are with the Maasai you feel safe, for the wisdom and innate instincts of these people runs so deep. We gather at the top of the hill and in the distant I see a herd of elephants. It is time for me to leave now and as I say goodbye to the community that I have spent the last three days with they begin to gather around me, hundreds of Maasai elders, children, and women. Two women hold my hand and as I stand in the middle of the circle they begin to sing a traditional blessing and dance all around me.Tears begin to flow from my dust filled eyes for this is one of the most magical moments of my life. Breathing in the moment I know that this is one that will impact my life forever. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment