Friday, October 15, 2010

Karibu Kenya!


I have returned to the place where I feel most alive, the place that inspires me to be my greatest self through recognizing the fragility and utter magic of life- Africa, I am home. Breathing in the smells of burning trash mixed with a freshness of African air is the greatest smell in the world to me, I know it is strange, but true. As we drive along the pot filled chaotic roads of Nairobi I realize that life is much like traffic in Kenya that in the utter chaos and confusion their lies an unexplainable magic order, that always takes you to exactly where you need to be at that point in your life. Today that road took me many places into the hearts of women that I have been working with for the past two years who struggle each day to make a dollar but some how each day can discover within themselves what they are grateful for. Today that road took me to Grace Care Orphanage where a husband and wife have dedicated their lives to children who thought theirs was over; a couple that is completely present not knowing where the next dollar will come from to feed over 60 children, but lets go of fear and worry because they believe in their purpose and know that all their needs will be met. Often as Westerners specifically as Americans we feel that we are bringing something to Africa when we come here, each time I come I learn more and more how wrong that is, for no one in the world has taught me more about gratitude, resilience, and dedication then the people of Africa.

No comments:

Post a Comment