Friday, January 8, 2010

"Taking Action"


It has almost been a week since I returned from Kenya, a trip that has once again impacted my life in ways I still do not know. The songs, smiles, and smells of Africa have enlivened my soul, creating an overwhelming sense of contentment and an urgency to take action. The words "take action" have been ones that have haunted me my whole life, creating in me a sense of guilt and responsibility, thinking that I am not doing enough or worrying that I am hindering the lives of the people I am trying to help by pushing western ideals and not really hearing what the needs of a community or individual are.

This trip brought clarity to what the words "take action" truly mean to me through the voices of the women in Korogocho and through the unwavering service of one woman named Rachael; a woman who truly embodies compassion and selfless service in every aspect of her life. On this trip I have realized that to "take action" means to be present with the situation, and to listen, really listen, to the needs, letting go of your individual agenda and doing what needs to be done in that moment. I have learned that to "take action" means to be a partner and recognize that the people that know best are the local people of that community who have lived through every situation imaginable and hold so much wisdom. I have learned that to "take action" means to empower individuals rather than see them as a victim of their circumstances. This lesson has come from the face of Angela, who over a year ago I met in her dark cavern-like home in Korogocho, who now dances with such gratitude and has such strength in her voice.

No comments:

Post a Comment